Students will participate in Hands on Learning. Students will work in teams to identify a public health issue (past or present) affecting the community.
Dates and Locations
UT Martin Ripley Center
315 South Washington Street
Ripley, TN 38063
- 2024 June 17-21
- 2025 June 16-20
- 2026 June 15-19
- 2027 June 21-25
- 2028 June 19-23
Thank you for your inquiry and we look forward to having your family member at the HS2HC 2024 Summer Camp! The camp is for rising 11th and 12th grade students (in 11th or 12th grade by next summer). See Flyer Below. If you have Adobe Acrobat, the forms are fillable forms except for signature lines. If you do not have Adobe, print all the forms and fill out by hand. Directions: Please (1) use Adobe or (2) print the Registration & Health form ; also print the Publicity Consent forms (3) enter all of your information (4) complete the signatures by hand (5) Scan/upload the forms to your computer and send both forms to us at HS2HC@utm.edu.
For questions, send an email or give us a call at 731-221-8778 .
Frequently Asked Questions
- WHAT IS THE COST? There is no program tuition/cost for this research project. Program includes a school district provided lunch and snack, and academic expenses. Off-campus event travel via bus is also included. Students are responsible for fees arising from personal items purchased at site location or field trips. We expect to provide a stipend (gift card) to participants who complete the week-long camp. Amounts to be discussed upon acceptance to the program.
- IS THERE ANY RISK? Common science lab chemicals and equipment may be used in the activities for the HS2HC summer program. As a precaution, HS2HC will inform students and parents of all items used in activities prior to the start of the activity and a consent agreement will be part of the documentation
- WHAT COMMUNICATION WILL OCCUR? Communication from HS2HC will be sent to the student and parent email addresses provided on the application. We ask that you add HS2HC@utm.edu to your safe senders list
- HOW ARE STUDENTS CHOSEN? We understand that this is an application for participation in the Program and enrollment is contingent upon approval by HS2HC at its discretion.
- IS THERE A WAITLIST Applications from qualified students are processed in the order received and the number of applications may exceed available spaces. We will include a waitlist in the selection process.
- WHAT FORMS DO I SIGN? Additional required forms must be signed in order to participate in the HS2HC. Included in these forms is a comprehensive Code of Conduct which details guidelines for behavior and prohibits possession of such substances as drugs, alcohol, and tobacco. A minors campus policy may require additional forms (see https://www.utm.edu/offices-and-services/public-safety/programs-involving-minors.php ). Failure to abide by any required code of conduct may result in immediate dismissal.
- WHAT FIELD TRIPS WILL STUDENTS GO ON? We understand that field trips listed on the HS2HC website/brochure are examples of currently planned trips. We understand that field trips are contingent and subject to change based on program and facility guidelines, security protocols and staffing.
- ARE COVID OR OTHER VACCINATIONS REQUIRED? As of Spring 2023 COVID vaccines are not required, but recommended. Based on university policies at the time of the activities (and CDC recommendations) vaccinations + boosters could be required . We understand that HS2HC cannot guarantee all sites will allow exemptions. As of Spring 2023 “the University of Tennessee Martin main campus and five centers follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines related to the COVID-19 pandemic.” (Check CDC “guidance” at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html).